Thursday, June 30, 2011

Time with the kids

I am so often asked, "mum can you build a tower with me?", "can we make a cubby with the sheets", "can you play hide and seek with us", "can you read me this book..."

I realise, with much guilt, that many of the times I am asked these things I say "I can't now, I'm cooking tea" {or "I'm hanging the washing", or "I'm working", or "it's nearly time to leave for school/kindy"}

While I recognise that this is life, and realistically I can't always play/read/join in with the kids, I always feel like I can spend more time that is just for them.

So, my aim has been to adjust my life a little, {more on this later} to ensure I am doing more of the things my kids love to do.

For the purpose of having a little reminder for myself, and perhaps some ideas for my readers, here is a list of some of the simple, and generally inexpensive things my kids enjoy.

As it is winter here in Oz and outside activities are generally not as viable, my list is based around inside activities. I have also included some super-cool ideas I have found across the web.


  • Build a cubby out of sheets and blankets {perhaps have a snack inside on a teeny tiny plate}

  • Bake cupcakes or cornflake crackles together

  • Have a babycino at a local cafe

  • Build with Lego

  • Have a picnic lunch on a rug on the floor {I normally do a platter of cheese, dip, crackers & dipping veggies}

    • Watch a recorded program together {my daughter loves Better Homes & Gardens but it is normally on after her bed time}

    • Read a story or two


    • Movie night: Set up camp in the TV room, have dinner on a picnic rug and watch a movie or two. Sleep the night.

    • Hide & seek

    • Colouring in - There are many colouring-in printable sites but Kidspot has a great selection

    • Play a board game {or even have a family games night}

    • Crafts - Kidspot has a huge selection of printables and craft ideas

    • Make a card for someone's birthday {or just to say "I love you"}

    • Puzzles

    • Learn online. Here are some of the websites we use for educational fun:
      Starfall

      Triple Zero Kid's Challenge

      Reading Eggs

      ABC 4 Kids


    • Painting - here's one of our last holidays projects

    • Balloon Ball games - satisfy their need for active games with this indoor version. We bought ours here
    Image from Balloon Balls
     
    • Use masking tape to create a road along the floor - the extent of this is up to you {and the size of your roll of masking tape} Here's a great example from the lovely The Mother Huddle - There is also lots of gorgeous & unique craft ideas here.

    • Butchers paper floor drawing - See how Jade at Super Organiser Mum does it here



      Enjoy!

      No comments:

      Post a Comment

      Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...